Todays post features the 11 best advanced Adwords PPC Blogs for large spend marketers. There are hundreds of PPC blogs out there but I have picked the very best ones featuring data backed actionable posts that provide huge value. In no particular order here they are:
1) Wordstream PPC Blog
The Wordstream PPC blog is one of the best resources for marketers running paid search campaigns. There is a huge range of content covering several different topics from beginner to advanced. The thing that i love most about the Wordstream blog is that they publish lots of Big data articles using data from the SAAS tool they have. Here are 3 of my favourite posts from Wordstream.
- Hacking Adwords: Winning Adwords the Weird Way. This is a hugely actionable post that contains a huge amount of data relating to how Quality Score effects advertisers performance and the correlation between Quality Score and CTR.
- Going Unicorn Hunting: The Secrets Behind Ads with 3x the Average CTR. Another hugely actionable post, this time analysis the data behind accounts with 3X the average CTR and showing you what they do differently.
- Advanced Search Query Mining Part 1: The Power of Search Queries. This is a brilliant article by Chad Summerhill that provide several excellent ways to mine search query reports using excel to find negative keyword candidates.
PPC Epiphany Blog
PPC epiphany is a very advanced PPC blog written by Martin Roettgerding. It covers a whole range of advanced topics designed for large spend advertisers. Here are three of my favourite posts.
- Introducing the Quality Score Tracker v3.0.This is a very cool script that was written by Martin that allows you to track your Quality Score day by day. It records your average Quality Score and impression weighted Quality Score daily along with creating a dashboard within Google docs where you can see your historical Quality Score.
- Taking Google Shopping to the Next Level. This is a brilliant presentation highlighting some very advanced strategies for taking your Google Shopping campaigns to the next level.
- Keyword Quality Score Up Close. This article by Martin examines keywords quality score and takes an in-depth look into the impact of each different factor within quality using data from the Adwords API.
The Certified Knowledge Ppc blog is written by Brad Geddes who is a PPC veteran having trained thousands of people and written several very successful books on PPC. Here are three of my favourite articles:
- How to Capture & Control Your PPC Keywords to Achieve a Better Account Structure. This is very similar to what Perry Marshal talks about with his 80/20 rule. It explains how to best optimise and grow your account structure to maximise performance.
- The Complete AdWords Audit Part 1: Goal Setting. This set of articles outlines in extensive detail how to audit your PPC account to identify areas where it is leaking performance and how to fix them.
- Is Phrase Match Dead? This is a really intersting data back article about whether or not advertisers should continue to the phrase match keywords with broad match modifier taking over in a large number of cases.
The Adalysis PPC Blog is another blog that is written by Brad Geddes that focuses entirely on split testing of adverts. There are also several big data articles that use the data from the Adalysis tool to show trends in PPC which can be useful when optimising accounts and choosing the right strategy.
- What Ad Testing Metric is Best for Your PPC Account? The chances are that you either use CTR or Conversion rate as your metric for ad testing within your account, however the chances are that this is not the right metric to test using. This article explains the right testing metrics for every possible account goal.
- Working with Statistical Significance: How confident should you be in your test results?One mistake that I see a lot of advertisers making this that they don’t use enough data when split testing which is a huge mistake. This article explains just how much data you need to conclude a split test.
- How to Test Expanded Text Ads. This in-depth article gives you all of the information that you need to split test the new extended advert format within Adwords.
Free Adwords Scripts PPC Blog
The Free Adwords Scripts PPC blog is probably the best Adwords Scripts resource online and has Adwords Scripts for just about everything. Here are three of my favourite posts / Scripts
- Automated Creative Testing With Statistical Significance. This is a brilliant script that calculates statistical significance for and emails you a report when your ad tests are completed. This script is a lifesaver if you mange accounts with 10s or even 100s of thousands of ads.
- Pull Salesforce Data into AdWords Using Scripts for lead generation Adwords users this is a great script for bringing your CRM data from Salesforce into your Adwords account using the Salesforce API.
6) Search Engine Journal
The Search Engine Journal PPC Blog is a fantastic resource for search marketers and is written by a number of PPC experts from around the world. They are know for their high quality advanced PPC Articles. Here are 3 of my favourite.
- 5 Ways to Use the 80/20 Rule for AdWords. Here Rocco Baldassarre explains how Perry Marshals 80/20 rule can be applied to different parts of you Adwords campaigns. If you are not using the 80/20 rule already they you are seriously reducing your chances of success with Adwords and I would highly recommend reading this article.
- What are the PPC Best Practices For 2016? This is another in-depth article written by Rocco that talks about best practices for Advanced Adwords users in 2016.
- Mobile Marketing 101: The Efficient Formula for Unleashing Your Full Potential. This is a brilliant article by Andrew Lolk on how to optimise Adwords for mobile users. Making some excellent points about encouraging users to call you using a range of different methods.
7) PPC Hero
The PPC Hero blog has some of the most detailed PPC Articles on the web and is written by Hannipin Marketing in the US. Amongst their many columnists my favourite is Sam Owen who now works over at Netflix. His incredibly detailed data backed articles are fantastic for people who are looking to take their PPC skills from intermediate to Advanced.
- Do Long Tail Keywords Matter in PPC? This is a fantastic data backed article that explains how long tail you should go and that after a certain length of keywords there will always be diminishing returns on the investment of your time.
- The Ultimate Guide To Google Adwords Quality Score. This is one of the most detailed guides to Quality Score on the web and was our inspiration to write the most detailed guide to quality score online at over 8000 words.
- Everything You Need To Know about PPC Ad Extensions This is another brilliant data backed article showing the impact of the different PPC Ad extensions of the performance of adverts.
8) Search Engine Land
Search engine land is another fantastic resource for PPC Marketers where a lot of advanced data driven high quality articles are published. This is possibly my favourite PPC blog just due to the sheer quality of the information that is being published making it very difficult to choose my three favourite posts.
- Keywords Are Back For Google Shopping Campaigns! This is another article by Brainlabs owner Daniel gilbert. This time they published a script that allows you to manage your Google shopping campaigns using keywords that are contained within a spreadsheet. If you have a large number of Google shopping campaigns this is a lifesaver in connection with Optmyzr’s Google Shopping campaign builder tool.
- A Step-By-Step Guide To Query-Level Bidding In Google Shopping. This is a brilliant guide by Kirk Williams covering how to use Query level bidding within Google shopping campaigns to maximise ROI.
- The Secret To AdWords Success, Told By A Former Googler. Although this article does promote his Optmyzr tool this post by Frederick Vallaeys provides some very insighful tips about winning with Adwords.
9) Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch is one of the top 3 Search marketing blogs and publishes some exceptional advanced PPC articles. Here are three of my favourite.
- How to create winning ad copy using a scientific approach. This is one of the best articles I’ve seen on Expanded text ads, in fact its one of the best articles I’ve seen in a long time. Purna Virji explains the science behind getting users to click and how you can apply it to Adwords adverts.
- Attention Keyword Hoarders: You Need to Delete 98% of Your AdWords Keywords – Here’s Why. This is another big data article that was published by the guys over at Wordstream. It looks at the performance of the long tail and disproves several myths such as the long tail improving Quality Score and conversion rate.
- Google AdWords average conversion rates by industry [study]. Yet again another Big Data article from Larry Kim and the team over at word stream. This time providing benchmarks for conversion rates based on industry.
10) Brainlabs PPC Blog
The Brainlabs PPC blog is a fantastic resource for those that are looking to add automation to their Adwords account. As their founder Daniel Gilbert says “You can’t do Adwords unless you can code” and their blog is based around that. There are a number of free scripts that can be used to automate tasks within Adwords and achieve functionality that you would not normally be able to achieve with Adwords.
- The 24 hour bidding schedule for AdWords. This is a brilliant script that you can use to change the bids every hour of the day and overcome the limitations of the Adwords interface that only allows you to change them six times per day. This is one that we use regally at Clicteq and suggest that you use too.
- Label Your Keywords With Organic Rank Data If you have a strong organic presence then this script is very useful for seeing the organic position of the keyword that you are bidding on within the Adwords interface by importing it through the SEM rush API. Although we have published case studies to show that you will generate more profit overall by bidding on your organic terms even if you rank number 1 for them.
- Decisions, Decisions – An Advanced A/B Testing Tool for your AdWords Accounts. Testing is everything with Adwords, however Adwords does have its limitations. This script will let you overcome them and test virtually anything within Adwords with ease and includes statistical significance calculations built in.
11) Google Adwords developers PPC blog / Resource
In 2016 the key to success in Adwords is automation so I couldn’t leave out the Google Adwords developers blog / resource, partially the scripting section. There are several very powerful pre made scripts that advanced advertisers can start using right away. Here are three of my favourite.
- Bid to position script. This script allows you to automatically change the bids within your Adwords account so that your ads appear in a certain pre defined position. Coupled with pivot tables you can utilise intraday hourly bidding to maximise your ROI.
- Weather based bid management script. This is brilliant for improving your ROI if you work with a PPC account that is effected heavily by the weather such as those within the travel industry. It allows you to import weather data using an API and increase the bids or decrease them based on the weather conditions in a certain area.
- Account anomaly tester script. If you are monitoring several PPC accounts the account anomaly tester can save you a huge amount of time when it comes to checking your Adwords accounts. If the script noticed that there is an anomaly with your data it will email you and alert you too it.